PARKS MAINTENANCE I
Job Description / Description of Work
PARKS MAINTENANCE I
Definition: This highly motivated, organized professional will work under the supervision of the Parks Director or assigned Crew Leader. The employee performs skilled/manual work functions related to maintenance and operation of the Parks facilities including caring for, cleaning, clearing, and improving grounds and park amenities while ensuring compliance with recreational goals, objectives, policies, and procedures. Employee must be able to work independently with minimal supervision. Afterhours on-call rotation required.
Essential Functions of the Job: The listed examples may not include all duties performed by the person in this position. Duties may vary from time to time and are at the discretion of the Parks Director. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability.
- Performs tasks related to parks facility maintenance including cutting grass, laying seed/sprigs/sod, fence repair, weed control applications, etc.
- Performs services and repairs as needed to maintain sports fields and park facilities including construction projects, minor electrical/plumbing repairs, masonry, carpentry, painting, cleaning restrooms/shop/work areas, etc.
- Provides manual labor functions as directed (e.g. digging holes/trenches; raking; hoeing; lifting; etc.)
- Operates and maintains equipment and machinery used in sports field and park facilities maintenance (truck/trailer; edger; tiller; weed eater; etc.)
- Receives and completes various forms, work orders, reports and other documents.
- Performs janitorial and custodial maintenance of recreational facilities grounds and buildings: to include restroom maintenance and trash disposal.
- Prepares set up for a variety of events along with working said events as required.
- Maintain grounds and landscape areas to ensure that the parks are presentable, clean and safe.
- Inspects and/or repairs playground equipment at frequent intervals to ensure that all equipment is safe according to Playground Safety Guidelines.
- Ensures proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and inspecting after use.
- Safely operates parks vehicles and equipment according to department policies and OSHA standards to ensure all assigned areas are clean, grounds are properly mowed and trimmed.
- Ensures that all recreational facilities such as tennis courts, basketball courts, etc. are in safe, playable condition at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel, and Outlook; Ability to learn town-wide maintenance software
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to apply rules and regulations as they relate to job duties and responsibilities
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, professional colleagues, representatives of other public agencies and other employees
- Ability to manage multiple projects to successful completion
- Ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations
- Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to cope with a considerable volume of detailed work and adapt to interruptions in workflow
- Ability to use assorted power/hand tools and multi meters in a safe and effective manner
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision
- Knowledge of methods and principles of vehicle and equipment maintenance
- Must maintain complete confidentiality
- Ability to analyze problems/situations and present appropriate facts/recommendations concisely in written or oral form
- Knowledge of planting and care of turf, flowers, shrubs, soil/soil conditions and fertilizers
- Some knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in parks maintenance
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations and Town policies regarding risk management, safe work and recreational practices
- Ability to operate motor vehicles and parks maintenance equipment such as string trimmers, commercial mowers, tractor, etc.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must be willing to continue education and training to be up to date including Turf/Grass Management and Playground Safety
- Must possess a valid driver’s license in the State of Tennessee
- Any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job may be considered.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Both indoor and outdoor work is required in the inspection of various vehicles, machinery, and equipment along with parks facilities. The employee occasionally is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock and vibrations.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, talk or hear; use hand to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tool or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Employee may be exposed to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, pollen, odors, chlorine gas, methane gas, wetness, humidity, rain, temperature and noise extremes, fumes, hazardous materials, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, bright/dim light, toxic agents, disease, or pathogenic substances.
- Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of color, sounds, depth, texture and visual cues or signals. The noise level is usually moderate to loud.
- Normal work responsibilities not only require a sighted individual (vision corrected to 20/20) for computer usage and visual inspections of facilities, machinery and equipment maintenance, but also requires an individual with normal hearing (hearing corrected to normal ranges) for direct and telephone contact with contractors, employees, and the public.
- The typical work schedule is Monday through Friday from 7 AM until 3:30 PM
- Participation in on-call emergency operation required.
- Required to work Town sponsored Special Events