APOSD Acquisition Specialist
The Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation and Open Space District (Ag + Open Space) permanently protects the diverse agricultural, natural resource, and scenic open space lands of Sonoma County for future generations. We are currently recruiting for an Acquisition Specialist, a critical team member who will manage, oversee, or lead Ag + Open Space land conservation projects. This is an excellent opportunity to join a mission-driven organization with a passion for protecting lands that contribute to Sonoma County’s scenic beauty, local agriculture, native habitats, and recreational lands.
The Acquisition Specialist is part of a dynamic team responsible for developing and implementing land conservation through real estate transactions, primarily conservation easements, including appraisals, title work, due diligence, escrow, and closing. Working with landowners, the Acquisition Specialist negotiates transactions that benefit healthy communities, clean water and air, diverse habitats, sustainable agriculture, and climate resiliency throughout Sonoma County. In support of the Ag + Open Space land conservation mission, the Acquisition Specialist collaborates with and presents to the public, easement landowners, project partners, contractors, agency staff, and oversight bodies including the Ag + Open Space Board of Directors, Advisory Committee, and Fiscal Oversight Commission.
As our ideal Acquisition Specialist candidate, you will bring to the District your:
- Passion for conserving natural and agricultural land for the benefit of future generations
- Experience working with public agencies and non-profit organizations in land conservation and/or real property acquisition, land use planning, and natural resource conservation
- Understanding of emerging policy issues affecting land conservation, including land use, habitat protection, water quality and quantity, sustainable agricultural and forest land management, and climate change
- Familiarity with real estate transactions including appraisals, title work, due diligence, escrow, and closing
- Experience with grant funding programs and/or contract management
- Proven ability to make presentations before boards, committees, and citizen's groups
- Ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships with stakeholders across all levels
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to exercise initiative, tact, and good judgment
- Effective written and verbal communication, and negotiation skills